Toggle Content Thursday, October 30, 2014

Why Register? Registered users of our community have the ability to post in the forums, add comments to news entries, submit news and articles, view full size pictures in the Gallery, and more.
Toggle Content   Fishing Main

Toggle Content   Who is where

Toggle Content   Groups
Join a Group Join a Group
      Pro Shop

Toggle Content   Old Articles
Friday, September 14
  Google Adsense and CPG Nuke Dragonfly CPGNUKE (0)
Tuesday, September 04
  Kenai River Fishing (0)
Wednesday, August 29
  Pacific Ocean and Buoy 10 Coho and Chinook Salmon Fishing (0)
Tuesday, August 21
  Alaska Salmon Fishing Charters (1)
Tuesday, August 07
  The great Fishingnw.com T-Shirt Logo Contest (0)
Friday, August 03
  Summer fishing heats up across state; 'fall season' starts Aug. 1 on the Columbi (1)
Tuesday, July 24
  Ocean salmon season starts with a bang as other fisheries heat up around state (1)
Tuesday, July 24
  Anglers fishing portions of Puget Sound reminded to properly release wild chinoo (1)
Sunday, July 08
  North Western Rivers (1)
Monday, June 04
  Catch trout, salmon, sturgeon on Free Fishing Weekend (1)
Tuesday, March 13
  Fishing improves with the change of season (0)
Monday, February 26
  Head to eastside lakes for trout, Puget Sound for blackmouth (0)
Thursday, February 22
  Wynoochee January 2007 Hot and Cold (0)
Monday, January 22
  Western rivers (0)
Monday, January 22
  Members Map updated (0)
Monday, December 04
  Weekender Update November 29 - December 12, 2006 (0)
Tuesday, November 21
  Weekender Update November 15 - 28, 2006 (1)
Wednesday, November 01
  stillguamish (0)
Monday, October 23
  Steelhead Anglers Report in (0)
Thursday, September 21
  Weekender Update September 20 - October 3, 2006 (0)
Tuesday, September 19
  2006 Yakima River / Hanford Reach Salmon Reports and Ringold Steelhead Reports (0)
Monday, September 18
  INVENTORY BLOWOUT SALE (0)
Tuesday, September 12
  Lake Washington sockeye catch largest in a decade (1)
Thursday, September 07
  Weekender Update September 6-19, 2006 (0)
Tuesday, August 29
  Weekender Update August 23 - September 5, 2006 (0)
Sunday, August 20
  How to Catch Salmon - Marine Areas (0)
Sunday, August 20
  Slam'n Salmon Ocean Derby in Brookings, Oregon (0)
Thursday, August 10
  Weekender Update August 9 - 22, 2006 (0)
Thursday, July 27
  Weekender Update July 26 - August 8, 2006 (0)
Saturday, July 22
  Brewster Salmon Derby (0)

Older Articles

Community Forums › Fishing › Boats and Fishing Gear › Rod Building Class
Rod Building Class
discuss anything related to Fishing Gear and boating, including a place to list your boat or fishing gear which is for sale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexBoats and Fishing Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dev88t
King
King

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

Some of you know that I teach high school here in Prosser. I decided that it would be a cool idea to run an after school rod building program for kids. So I wrote up a grant and got some $$ to buy the equipment to run the class which is awesome. I am new to this as well and have ordered a rod to build before I run the class in late Feb. I hooked up with batson enterprises (rainshadow blanks) and they run a school program that kids can buy complete rod kits. So the start of the PHS fly and rod club has begun. my hope is that in the future we can get some fly tying equipment so I can teach some basic fly tying as well. I was wondering if there are any of us that are rod builders that I could maybe get a hold of for tips and advice on rod biulding. I think this is going to be a great activity for some of my kids and I am pretty excited about it myself. I already have about thirty kids that are interested which is cool. So if anyone here is into rod building let me know.

Thanks, Dev88T
Schlegelstine
King
King

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

That sounds like a pretty cool gig. I am a teacher at the middle school in Grandview... I was wondering if you would be interested in doing any rod repair with your class or individually. I am asking because I have an old school Fenwick fly rod that belongs to my father in law in British Columbia. I had originally brought it down to get it fixed by a lady that used to do rod repair here in Grandview, but she has quit and I have since been left with a busted rod and no one to fix it... The only real problems with it are that it is missing a couple of rod guides and the handle is a little messed up. I'll check the forum later to see what you think about taking on the project. As for advise about building rods, I truly have no idea how to do that, but I think it is pretty darn cool that you have the opportunity to teach such a cool class. That's awesome.
dev88t
King
King

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

Well, let me get a little bit of experience under my belt and then I will do it. It doesnt sound like repairing the rod will be too much trouble. Maybe just shoot me a message later this spring and I will give it a go.

Dev88T
E-mann
King
King

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

Just thought I'd bump this message to the top--I know there are a few rod builders on this site--I'd think they'd be interested in lending a hand. I've done a bit of repair, but I'd hardly consider myself a builder.

dev88t
King
King

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

I finished my first rod this weekend. Lets just say that I learned alot. Not that it is bad or anything, but it took me longer than I thought figuring it out on my own. I built a rainshadow RX7 721 casting rod (6' 2-6lb). I built it especially for the tucannon river to help cast and navigate through all of the trees! Should be a heck of a fight when I hook into one. I wrapped my guides in crimson and silver and the colors look great. Of course I am a big coug so is there any other color? I think I learned the most on applying finish to my rod. I know several things I will do different next time and also I will tell my students to do! I will post some pictures later on this week.

Dev88T
dev88t
King
King

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

Here are a couple Pics of my first rod.

E-mann
King
King

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

Not a bad looking stick. There's nothing better than landing one on the fruits of your own labor.

ol_grayfeather
Egg
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

Very nice!! Let us know how your class turns out. Its cool that you're putting on a class for the kids. I grew up in Tekoa, and the only school sponsored after school stuff was football, basketball, and volleyball.
Pasco_steelhdr
King
King

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

Here is something I stumbled across today. Huge amount of rod building info in one spot. www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2
dev88t
King
King

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

Thanks. I have actually run across that site which is a pretty good one. If anyone is getting into rod building another good site is mudholetackle.com. They have some good vidoes imbedded in the site as well. The books and DVD from flex coat are also very good. I got all of the rod kits in yesterday. All 21 of them! I am going to have my hands full on this one! Thanks for the help, Dev88T
secondclasshero
Alevin
Alevin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

I would like to get into rod building what all gear did you buy to get started? rack and dryer wise. Any info on getting started would be a help, thanks.
Greatwhitehunter
King
King

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

strong werk good job
jiggawha44k
Egg
Egg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

Can you give us any tips on how to get started? for insance where do you get the gear for all of this?
dev88t
King
King

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod Building Class Reply with quote

There are quite a few places to get equipment. A good place from here in WA is www.shofftackle.com. If you look under their rod wrappers link there is an Ultimate kit that has everything you need to get started (yes you want to get the drying motor. I got all of the schools materials directly through Batson Enterprises (They make rainshadow rod blanks which are dang good blanks for the $$) as they run a school program. There are a ton of sites with good info such as mudhole.com and others listed above. I would also recommend buying the Flexcoat rod building DVD or Video if you are the visual type. It really helped me out on the first rod which I did alone just using that video. Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Boats and Fishing Gear All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: