Toggle Content Monday, April 21, 2014

Why Register? Registered users of our community have the ability to post in the forums, add comments to news entries, submit news and articles, view full size pictures in the Gallery, and more.
Toggle Content   Fishing Main

Toggle Content   Who is where

Toggle Content   Groups
Join a Group Join a Group
      Pro Shop

Toggle Content   Old Articles
Friday, September 14
  Google Adsense and CPG Nuke Dragonfly CPGNUKE (0)
Tuesday, September 04
  Kenai River Fishing (0)
Wednesday, August 29
  Pacific Ocean and Buoy 10 Coho and Chinook Salmon Fishing (0)
Tuesday, August 21
  Alaska Salmon Fishing Charters (1)
Tuesday, August 07
  The great Fishingnw.com T-Shirt Logo Contest (0)
Friday, August 03
  Summer fishing heats up across state; 'fall season' starts Aug. 1 on the Columbi (1)
Tuesday, July 24
  Ocean salmon season starts with a bang as other fisheries heat up around state (1)
Tuesday, July 24
  Anglers fishing portions of Puget Sound reminded to properly release wild chinoo (1)
Sunday, July 08
  North Western Rivers (1)
Monday, June 04
  Catch trout, salmon, sturgeon on Free Fishing Weekend (1)
Tuesday, March 13
  Fishing improves with the change of season (0)
Monday, February 26
  Head to eastside lakes for trout, Puget Sound for blackmouth (0)
Thursday, February 22
  Wynoochee January 2007 Hot and Cold (0)
Monday, January 22
  Western rivers (0)
Monday, January 22
  Members Map updated (0)
Monday, December 04
  Weekender Update November 29 - December 12, 2006 (0)
Tuesday, November 21
  Weekender Update November 15 - 28, 2006 (1)
Wednesday, November 01
  stillguamish (0)
Monday, October 23
  Steelhead Anglers Report in (0)
Thursday, September 21
  Weekender Update September 20 - October 3, 2006 (0)
Tuesday, September 19
  2006 Yakima River / Hanford Reach Salmon Reports and Ringold Steelhead Reports (0)
Monday, September 18
  INVENTORY BLOWOUT SALE (0)
Tuesday, September 12
  Lake Washington sockeye catch largest in a decade (1)
Thursday, September 07
  Weekender Update September 6-19, 2006 (0)
Tuesday, August 29
  Weekender Update August 23 - September 5, 2006 (0)
Sunday, August 20
  How to Catch Salmon - Marine Areas (0)
Sunday, August 20
  Slam'n Salmon Ocean Derby in Brookings, Oregon (0)
Thursday, August 10
  Weekender Update August 9 - 22, 2006 (0)
Thursday, July 27
  Weekender Update July 26 - August 8, 2006 (0)
Saturday, July 22
  Brewster Salmon Derby (0)

Older Articles

Community Forums › Fishing by Species › Salmon and Steelhead › Walla Walla Steelhead
Walla Walla Steelhead
An area to discuss Salmon and Steelhead fishing.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexSalmon and Steelhead
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dev88t
King
King

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Walla Walla Steelhead Reply with quote

Fished the walla walla on friday. Man is it low. I fished all morning and no fish until I was about to leave and then I hooked up and lost my first steelhead of the season. Crying or Very sad Go figure! Looked like a good fish too. It jumped about 2 feet out of the water, looked right at me, and spit my darn spinner back at me. Maybe next weekend one will stick.

Dev88T
bdk_wa
Smolt
Smolt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where on the walla walla where you fishing?
dev88t
King
King

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fishing of of byrnes rd. I tried in the am up by lowden, but didnt see much and the water is considerably lower. Does any body here fish jigs on any of these small river with success??

Dev88T
E-mann
King
King

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried jigs above Lowden one time, but the water was just too shallow and fast. Since that time, I've seen people fish a bobber and jig just like a fly nymph with a strike indicator, so I guess it could be done. I'm a little more used to fishing a jig where it drifts vertically, and the upper river is not well suited for this. The lower river (below Touchet) should lend itself to this, but I've never tried it. Good job getting a hook-up. 'Tis better to have loved and lost... (you know the rest). I think it holds true for fishing too.

rower2
Egg
Egg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a good afternoon on Walla Walla near 9 mile hill yesterday, hooked into a nice steelie, fought for some 15 minutes, then broke off, cleared water 3 times, pretty exciting, on my 6 wt. fly rod. Got the fever now, went back at daylight this morning, nothing, but beat the dickens out of about 1.5 miles of river, some nice water along with the slow moving areas. Just a nice day or two on the river, can't beat that. A bad day of fishing is better the a good day at work. Rower2
glock
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of pattern were you using? What kind of line? Is a Sink tip needed based on the water conditions?
dev88t
King
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out sunday afternoon to the cummins bridge stretch, but didnt catch anything Crying or Very sad Either there is not a lot of fish in or I need to learn how to fish. Was using spinners again. Talked to a couple guys that had caught and released wild fish drift fishing.

Dev88T
Mags
Smolt
Smolt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is cummins bridge? I thought that cummins bridge was on the tucannon.
dev88t
King
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow byrnes road to Bverly rd (Heading SE off of hwy12) and hang a right it is at the dead end which is the entrance to the wind farm roads.
glock
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mags,

Cummins Bridge Road is near the Walla Walla River. Cummings Bridge is on the Tucannon River and is near Marengo.

Hope that helped.
rower2
Egg
Egg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Steelhead on the Walla Walla Reply with quote

glock wrote:
What kind of pattern were you using? What kind of line? Is a Sink tip needed based on the water conditions?

Glock,

I have spent most of my last 20 yrs. fishing the Deschutes, bouncing bright colored flys on the bottom with strike indicators. Trying some of those same tacts on the WW, but with little luck.

This fish hit a 4" articulated black leach and a worm, talk about straying from the fly fishing culture with my 6 wt. fly rod.

First 5 casts floated through the riffle and hole, added split shot head, it hit the bottom a couple times and he took it. That magic has not found a hit in the last 2 weeks since that fateful morning.

Sink tip line is my next tact. Rower2
E-mann
King
King

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Walla Walla Steelhead Reply with quote

Quote::
talk about straying from the fly fishing culture

I won't tell. My brother, who is primarily a gear fisherman but likes to fish a fly when the conditions are favorable, syas that at some point, he just gives up on the fly gear and throws a small clear or cork casting bobber and jig. He says it's just too much labor trying to cast the heavy set-up you're talking about. But I commend you on sticking to the tools of the trade (at least above the main line).

The Walla Walla seems like a decent place to catch one on the fly. At least it's been clear lately (albeit darn-near dry).

Good luck, Fellas!

glock
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Walla Walla Steelhead Reply with quote

Thanks Rower2,

I'll be fishing the Touchet River in a month or so with my fly rods. I actually fished it last year with my 6 wt and really enjoyed the challenge. However, I don't care much for using the sink tip on the 6 wt. I also have a 9 wt rod.

I haven't been on the Walla Walla with a fly rod. Actually, I haven't had much success using a float and jig on the Walla Walla either.

I only had success using a tiger striped wiggle wart on the Walla Walla.
E-mann
King
King

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Walla Walla Steelhead Reply with quote

Glock,

I found a little green and orange tiger-stripe wiggle-wart on the WW one day while fishing; I assumed it was for smallmouth, but you say you use these for steelhead? What is the rig? do you fish them with a weight and drift them or do you simply cast and retireve?

glock
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Walla Walla Steelhead Reply with quote

E-mann,

Try to look for a spot where you can stand directly above the head of a hole or a location where the river is running swift enought so that the wiggle wart can be "fed" into the hole and held there with not much work. It tends to be difficult fishing this way when the flow is as slow as it is now.

The wiggle wart tends to have side to side and diving action. Certain plugs will dive to certain depths depending on what plug you have.

Wiggle warts also need to be tuned. To tune your wiggle wart, quickly pull it through the water and see what happens. It should run straight and dive straight. If it leans to the left, bend the eye to the right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Salmon and Steelhead All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: